If most of your products have the same product option, you can define this option on the Options
page in the administration panel. You will need to define the product
option only once and then you will be able to add it to any product in
one click (without necessity to add option variants to each product one
To set global product options:
- In the administration panel, go to Products > Options.
- On the opened page, click the + button and complete the following fields:
- Name - Name of the product option as it appears on the storefront.
- Position – Position of the product option relatively to the position of the other options in the list.
- Store - Store, to which the option originally belongs.
- Inventory – If selected, the option has its own number of items in stock, which is tracked separately.
- Type – Type of the product option: Select box, Radio group, Check box, Text, Text area or File.
- If the option type is text, text area or file, please refer to this article in order to learn more about its settings.
- If the option type is select box or radio group, open the Variants section in the same window. Complete the Name input field (e.g. Green). In the Modifier input field, set the amount that will be added to the product price if this option is selected (e.g. +2). Leave it empty if the price will not change. To add more variants, click on the Add empty item icon.
- Description - Description of the product option as it appears on the storefront under the question sign (?) next to the option name.
- Comment – Comment to be displayed below the option on the storefront.
- Required - If selected, this option is mandatory for selection/completion.
- Missing variants handling - Select how impermissible/missing
option combinations should be handled: Display message - the option
will be marked as not available, if the option is mandatory (see the
previous setting) customers will not be able to add the product to the
cart; Hide option completely - the option will be hidden, if the option
is mandatory (see the previous setting) customers will be able to add
the product to the cart.
- Click the Save button to apply the changes.
To set a global product option for an individual product:
- In the administration panel, go to Products > Products.
- Open any product's details page and open the Options tab.
- Click the Add global option button, select the necessary global option in the Global options select box and click Apply.
NOTE: If you select the Apply as link check box, the selected product option will be added to the product as a link. This means that you cannot edit the option for the current product, but the added product option will reflect all the changes made to it on the Global options page.
If you do not select the check box, the option will be copied to the list of product options for the product, and you will be able to edit its variants at any time.