Before creating a new language, check if it already exists on CS-Cart translations project translate.cs-cart.com. To add a new language from translate.cs-cart.com to your installation, do the following:
- Go to translate.cs-cart.com and choose the desired project.
- On the opened page find the desired language and click on its name.
- Click on the Export link in the left corner at the bottom of the page. Save the file.
- In the administration panel of your store go to Administration > Languages > Manage languages.
- Click the + button in the left upper corner of the page to add a language.
- On the opened page upload a language file in the PO format that you have previously downloaded from translate.cs-cart.com.
- Click the Install button. The new language will appear in the list of installed languages.
To create a new language:
Note: Make sure that there is no such language among the list of available languages in Administrtation > Languages > Manage languages in the Available tab, and there is no such language at translate.cs-cart.com.
- Go to Administration > Languages > Manage languages.
- Click the gear button of any existing language and choose Clone. In the opened pop-up window enter the two-letter language code. A new language will be added to the Installed list (it will be the copy of the existing language). The select box allowing users to choose a language will be displayed in the customer area and in the store administration panel.
- Click the gear button of the newly created language and choose Edit from the drop-down menu.
- Set up the given fields and click the Save button.
Most of Merchium texts are stored in the so called language variables. Although, they all can be viewed and edited under the Translations tab of the Languages page (it is in the Administration menu), we recommend to translate them in the following order:
- In the administration panel, go to Administration > Languages > Translations.
- Click the gear button in the right upper corner of the page and choose On-site text editing from the drop-down menu. You will be redirected to the storefront and will need to translate the text with the following icon on the left: To do it, follow these steps:
- Click on the icon, select the desired language in the top right corner of the opened pop up window and enter the desired text in this language.
- Click on the Update text button.
- After you translate all visible texts, some language variables are still not translated as they are displayed in the e-mail notifications and in some special situations, i.e. error notifications, popup window messages etc. In order to translate the rest of the variables:
- Go to Administration > Languages > Translations and select the newly created language in the select box in the top left corner. Now you are assumed to edit the text variables for this language.
- Translate texts in the Value input fields of the language variables on the page.
NOTE: Do not translate words written with lowercase words in square brackets, i.e. [link]; [product]; .... When this text is displayed in the storefront, such a variable will be replaced with an appropriate value automatically (e.g. [product] will be replaced with the corresponding product name). Namely, the word between square brackets is just a spot indicating where Merchium should place the appropriate value. So move it within the text, but do not delete. Translate the words written with uppercase letters in square brackets, i.e. [ALREADY PATCHED], [DELETED], [FAILED], [NON WRITABLE], ... They are the notifications generated by Upgrade Center and should be translated as well.
- Click on the Save button to save the changes.
NOTE: It is required to save the changes on each page with the translated language variables. If you open the next page with language variables without clicking on the Save button on the previous page, translations on your previous page will be lost.
NOTE: If English is selected in the select box, you will edit texts in English on the page.
- Administration > Order statuses
- Marketing > Gift Certificates > Gift Certificate Statuses
- Administration > Profile fields
- Customers > User Groups
- Administration > Shipping & Taxes > Shipping Methods
- Administration > Shipping & Taxes > Countries
- Administration > Shipping & Taxes > States (if required)
- Administration > Payment Methods
- Administration > Currencies
- Design > Layouts
- Website > Content > Forms (the Contact us page)
- Marketing > Gift Certificates
- Orders > Return Requests > RMA Request Statuses (translate this page if you plan to use the RMA add-on)
- Marketing > Banners
- Website > News
- Products > Products
- Products > Categories
- Products > Features
- Products > Filters
- Products > Options
In order to translate the entries on the pages listed above:
- Open the necessary page and select the desired language in the language section in the top left corner of the page.
- Open the entry (e.g. order status) editing page and enter the necessary information in the selected language in the opened window.
- Click the Save button.
- Repeat points 2-3 for the other entries on the page.
NOTE: We recommend you closing the store when the On-site text editing is enabled, because some debugging information is displayed on the storefront then and it may confuse your customers.